Colin's Blog

This is my new blog. I'l be chronicalling my musical and other career endeavors here over the next year.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Learning

My work with Bob Murphy has been moving along swimmingly. Last week we started to work on some new repertoire which I haven't done in quite a while. I have still be working on writing my own stuff , but it comes in fits and starts. At times the ideas flow nicely but most of the time I get what I think is a great idea...work on it for a bit....then come to a painful grinding halt. The fledgling idea, like the Wright brother's plane, just off the ground, then nothing. So I've got a whole whack of 10 second songs or half written lyrics that need completion. I've spoken to a couple of song writers who tell me that this is perfectly normal and that eventually if you keep going back and addressing the old ideas, the completions will come as easily as the beginnings. It's then when you know that you've got a decent song.

This post was actually prompted by another blog by Morgan Childs "Morjazzum" http://vancouverjazz.com/morganchilds/. Morgan is a fine drummer who I've worked with a couple of times and an eloquent writer. He suggests viewing this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2koXVbl-PPg
And describes it as one of the funniest things he's ever seen....I agree.

Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home