Colin's Blog

This is my new blog. I'l be chronicalling my musical and other career endeavors here over the next year.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Learning vs Performing

In my last session with Bob we talked about the difference between learning and performing. For you musicians out there, hopefully this helps you as much as it did me. I have been taking piano lessons again and stumbling along. I hear what the music is supposed to sound like, but my fumbly fingers won't make the sounds. Sometimes I get it...sometimes it's a disastrous mangle of cacophonous notes. I have been trying to perform the piece (for myself) before I have actually learned it. Playing in rhythm before my fingers know where to go.

So Bob says: The learning process involves bringing the music in while the performance process involves letting the music out.

......As simple as that sounds, that was a major revelation for me! Who cares what it sounds like when you're learning the piece. Do it slowly. Do it right. Program your fingers to do the right things rather than programming them to make mistakes. Now it doesn't matter if I take 10 minutes to play through one chorus of Autumn Leaves as long as everything is right.

My practicing has suddenly become a process of real learning rather than poor performing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alaidh said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home