Colin's Blog

This is my new blog. I'l be chronicalling my musical and other career endeavors here over the next year.

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Singer or vocalist?

You might think that they are one and the same. I used to think that. Some of the greatest call or called themselves singers. Some of the most mediocre call themselves vocalists. Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, and Tony Bennett called themselves singers. Some critics have dubbed Ella and Sarah as vocalists but I think that is in reference to their unbelievable grasp of their instrument. Recently I've noticed something curious: young singers (especially jazz singers) calling themselves vocalists.... seemingly to sound more legitimate as an artist. The term jazz vocalist has started to rub me the wrong way, as if it's not important enough to be "just a singer". (I think sanitational engineer.) (A side note: Great violinists often refer to their million dollar Strad, Guarneri, and Amati violins as "fiddles")

Before I start to ramble on more than I already have....

Jazz singers....be singers. Sing the songs. Vocalization is for practice. Singing is for performance, enjoyment , and art. Scatting is fine, but the best scatters were/are not coincidentally great singers. Singing involves more than just notes; it involves interpretation of lyrics AND how the notes and lyrics go together...a monumental task to do it well. The more I learn, the more I realize how ridiculously difficult it is!

5 Comments:

Blogger Monica said...

THANK YOU!!!

I'm currently a vocal student in a Jazz program where it's definitely not enough to be a "singer." I've been told repeatedly, singers can't get by like they used to... they have to be "up at the level of" the horn section.

I WANT to be a singer. And it's hard. And it's enough.

/end rant/

3:42 PM  
Blogger Colin Darling said...

Keep at it! The more knowledge you have, the more tools you'll have to communicate. It's ashame that the term "singer" in a jazz program is interpreted as "mediocre musician". Ella used to scare horn players with her skill. Be a great musician and you'll get the respect of the instrumentalists and we can bring the term singer back to the level of respect it deserves.

1:33 PM  
Blogger ariel said...

Colin Darling, I think you need a hug. No biggie vocalist/singer.

As for Monica, the jazz singer student who has been asked to be up to the level of the horn section--well, that's how Ella learned. She always gave credit to the horn section in Chick's band for her ability to scat. She said she just sat there night after night listening and memorized everything they played. The best singers I know jazz or otherwise can ususally sing horn parts, bass parts, drum parts you name it and they call themselves singers and or vocalists. Jazz is a collaborative art form. That teacher didn't mean you harm. You were lucky to receive that suggestion. Jazz is primaily an oral art form--you learn by doing and from others. Get a grip. Music is a hard song. And you probably need to understand that you as a singer are a musician--just like an instrumentalist. Vocalists/singers are musicians. The really good ones are, anyway. Singers need to be able to musically commuincate with their bandmates. When the song calls for a straight swing feel, you ought to be able to sing that "feel"--when you a singing a bossa nova, you ought to not phrase it like a ballad but understand and musically communicate through your singing that you can syncopate so that the sidemen can groove with you etc. A lovely voice is just not enough. Jazz is a powerful thing. It is a rhythm crazed (in a good way) GOOD THING. Happy singing! Ariel

10:17 PM  
Blogger Colin Darling said...

I'm just amazed someone actually reads this. My only gripe is using a more important sounding word to describe what one does, rather than just being more important (or being better). Trivial? Yes, but at least it started a little conversation. Thanks for the thought about needing a hug.

5:51 PM  
Blogger JaZzCanary said...

I'm a classically trained vocalist/singer with 30+ years of experience in various genres. I started in opera/classical and now sing jazz professionally, as well as being a voice teacher. I, too, used to object to the term "vocalist" simply because to me it sounded a bit snobbish and high falutin'. (LOL) I now use the term interchangeably with singer. However, the term that is most often applied to me by experienced jazz musicians is "vocal musician," due to my training and experience.

Terminology (i.e., political correctness) goes in and out of vogue. In the end, does it really matter what term is used? Isn't the quality of the performer the most important hallmark? Shakespeare said, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." I would say that the same can be applied here.

Carolena Matus
http://www.CarolenaMatus.com

1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home